To provide literacy learning support, appropriate to the learning
needs of individuals and groups, as identified by the Literacy Coordinator or other supervisor
Role and responsibilities
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide learning support for individuals and or groups of learners using strategies determined and overseen by
the Literacy Coordinator or other supervisor
- Prepare learning activities appropriate to the literacy levels and needs of the learners
- Meet regularly with the learners
- Report on progress of learner/s on a regular basis using reporting documentation provided
- Encourage independent learning and facilitate access to LINC Tasmania facilities and services
- Support the use of literacy software where appropriate
- Refer learner/s to supervisor when the need arises
- Record volunteer hours undertaken, using the appropriate form or volunteer book, at the end of each shift
- Undertake other volunteer tasks as required
Who you report to
The Literacy Coordinator or other LINC Tasmania staff direct and supervise volunteers as appropriate, in accordance with the LINC Tasmania Volunteer Management Guidelines.
Volunteers engaged in Department of Education approved activities are covered by the Tasmanian Risk Management Fund.
- Volunteers are expected to have:
- Good communication, organisational and listening skills
- The ability to be sensitive, patient, understanding and respectful of the learner’s situation, needs and goals
- A willingness to be creative, flexible and enthusiastic.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Registered to Work with Vulnerable People.
- Satisfactory completion of a recognised Adult Literacy Volunteer Tutor Training course or demonstration of equivalent knowledge and skills capabilities, assessed via LINC Tasmania procedure
- A completed Volunteer Commitment form
- Speak English well and have a good level of functional literacy. No previous teaching experience necessary
- An interest in or knowledge of the range of programs and services provided by LINC Tasmania
- Complete a 500 word expression of interest form and a self-check form